Converting CAN-Bus Signal of NOx-Sensor

Topics about the Hardware of Revolution Pi
KWK_Service

Converting CAN-Bus Signal of NOx-Sensor

Post by KWK_Service »

Hello,

this is the first time for me using a RevPi PLC. I bought the RevPi Connect4 and now I want to use the CAN-Bus signal of a NOx-Sensor (see attached data sheet of the sensor). The current solution uses a Siemens S7-300 with a CAN to PROFINET-Converter but as far as I understand I cannot use RevPi Gateway Modules in combination with the RevPi Connect4. I could convert the CAN-Bus signal to RS485 but I am not quite sure wether this is the best idea regarding the performance or real time availability of the data. The NOx-sensor supplier also offers a module which converts the CAN-Bus signal to a 4-20mA signal (see also attached data sheet). But honestly, I am looking for alternatives. Do you maybe have a cost effective idea how to use the CAN-Bus signal with a RevPi Connect4?

Thank you very much in advance :)

Best regards

Nils
Attachments
Brochure_April_2022_24_pages.zip
(2.49 MiB) Downloaded 108 times
u.biakoup
KUNBUS

Re: Converting CAN-Bus Signal of NOx-Sensor

Post by u.biakoup »

Hello,

It's great that you're getting started with the RevPi Connect4!

One of the most straightforward solutions is to use a USB-to-CAN adapter. The RevPi Connect4 supports USB devices, and with the right drivers, you can easily interface with CAN-Bus via a USB port. Here are some points to consider:
  • Cost-Effective: USB-to-CAN adapters are relatively affordable and widely available.
  • Ease of Use: Many of these adapters come with driver support for Linux, which should be compatible with the RevPi.
While you could convert the CAN-Bus signal to RS485, this might introduce latency and complicate the setup, potentially affecting real-time performance. RS485 is typically used for longer distance communication and might not be the best fit for high-speed CAN-Bus signals, especially if timing and synchronization are critical.

Given your requirements, I recommend starting with either a USB-to-CAN adapter

Best Regards

Ulrich Kouatang Biakoup | field application engineer
KWK_Service

Re: Converting CAN-Bus Signal of NOx-Sensor

Post by KWK_Service »

Hello,

thank you for your advice! Now I want to use an IXXat USB-to-CAN Compact-Converter. For this application, I would need a suitable SocketCan-Driver or any other implementation of CAN protocols for the Linux OS of my RevPi Connect4. Can you help me regarding the implemention?
I am using the RevPi Bullseye 32-bit (02/2024)

Thanks in advance!

Nils