Systemd services crashes with error: "Main process exited, code=killed, status=11/SEGV"

Topics about the Software of Revolution Pi
MaltarLED

Systemd services crashes with error: "Main process exited, code=killed, status=11/SEGV"

Post by MaltarLED »

Hello,

I have a custom made application built in net6.0 that I run on my Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4S Rev 1.0 controllers with Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster) using systemd.

Every now and then, the service crashes with error "Main process exited, code=killed, status=11/SEGV". The crash appears to be random and is not related to any event happening in the application, nor the controller.

I try to Google the problem but I didn't find much explanation to what does the error message means, nor why does the error appear.

I was wondering if somebody else had the similar problem? Where can I find more information about the error? What should be checked to determine the cause of the problem?

Best regards.
u.biakoup
KUNBUS

Re: Systemd services crashes with error: "Main process exited, code=killed, status=11/SEGV"

Post by u.biakoup »

Hello,

The error message "Main process exited, code=killed, status=11/SEGV" indicates that your application has crashed due to a segmentation fault (SEGV). This is a type of error where a program attempts to access an area of memory that it is not allowed to, leading to a crash. In your case, the error code status=11 corresponds to a segmentation fault, and code=killed means that the process was terminated by the operating system due to this fault.

Here’s how you can approach diagnosing and resolving the issue:
  • Resource Limits: Ensure that your application is not hitting resource limits, such as memory or CPU constraints, which can sometimes lead to crashes. You can use tools like htop or top to monitor system resources.
  • Managed and Unmanaged Code: If your .NET application uses interop or P/Invoke to call unmanaged code (e.g., C/C++ libraries), ensure that these calls are properly handled. Mismanagement of memory or resources in unmanaged code can lead to segmentation faults in managed applications.
  • Memory Management: Review your application code for potential memory management issues, such as improper handling of pointers or array bounds.
Best Regards

Ulrich Kouatang Biakoup | field application engineer