Will these softwares run on the RevPI?

Topics about the Software of Revolution Pi
Julian
Answers: 0

Will these softwares run on the RevPI?

Post by Julian »

Do you know if it is possible to run CentOS or redhat and thereby run labview code on the RevPi?
Amar
KUNBUS
Answers: 4

Re: Will these softwares run on the RevPI?

Post by Amar »

Hello Julian,
The third-party LabVIEW Add-On LINX by Digilent/LabVIEW Marker Hub is designed to be a generic hardware abstraction layer for embedded platform devices eg Raspberry PI.

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/212478

https://www.labviewmakerhub.com/doku.ph ... linx:start

This Raspberry PI HAL from LINX needs to be adapted for Rev PI since it's IOs are different than of Raspberry PI.

Best regards,
Amar Jadhav
KUNBUS
froman

Post by froman »

but is it possible to run centos or redhat?

as a enterprise normative there is almost impossible to put a machine with debian or ubuntu (because of the lack of enterprise support and certifications), the only 2 acceptable linux distibution are redhat (or it's free clones, as centos) or SLES (suse linux enterprise server)

redhat/centos 7 runs perfectly on raspberry pi 3 b and b+ and pi 4, can it run on the revpi?
lukas
Expert

Post by lukas »

@froman:

The short answer is yes.

However to get proper support for the chips on our base board (such as the Real Time Clock) you need to replace the kernel shipping with RHEL/CentOS/SLES with our "raspberrypi-kernel" deb-package. The package is available for download from our apt repository. Note that deb-packages cannot be installed "as is" on a Red Hat or SUSE based system, but it's possible to convert them to rpm format using alien. Also, our kernel package is meant to be booted using the Raspberry Pi Foundation's bootloader. If Red Hat or SUSE based systems use a different bootloader (e.g. U-Boot), it may be necessary to tweak its configuration to work with our kernel.

Additionally, to use our PiCtory web application (for configuration of attached RevPi I/O modules) or other user space tools we provide, you'll have to convert and install the corresponding deb packages.

I think we'd have to invest some time to properly test and support other Linux distributions besides Raspbian. That's a decision our product management would have to make (based on the number of ordered RevPi units etc).
froman

Post by froman »

lukas wrote: 31 Jan 2020, 14:19 @froman:

The short answer is yes.

However to get proper support for the chips on our base board (such as the Real Time Clock) you need to replace the kernel shipping with RHEL/CentOS/SLES with our "raspberrypi-kernel" deb-package. The package is available for download from our apt repository. Note that deb-packages cannot be installed "as is" on a Red Hat or SUSE based system, but it's possible to convert them to rpm format using alien. Also, our kernel package is meant to be booted using the Raspberry Pi Foundation's bootloader. If Red Hat or SUSE based systems use a different bootloader (e.g. U-Boot), it may be necessary to tweak its configuration to work with our kernel.

Additionally, to use our PiCtory web application (for configuration of attached RevPi I/O modules) or other user space tools we provide, you'll have to convert and install the corresponding deb packages.

I think we'd have to invest some time to properly test and support other Linux distributions besides Raspbian. That's a decision our product management would have to make (based on the number of ordered RevPi units etc).
alien hardly works on a simple software packed in .deb to run in a redhat based linux, with the kernel it will never work (I'll pay the drinks if someone can make it hahaha)

but that's no problem , if the chip's modules source code is available, it can be compiled to work on redhat/centos

anyway in my particular case, I don't need the rtc, I just need the rs485 interface and network interfaces.

if this works I'll need one to make some test

thank you very much.
lukas
Expert

Post by lukas »

I assume that by "rs485 interface" you refer to the one on the front plate of the RevPi Connect. That port as well as the Ethernet ports on the front plate are connected to the Raspberry Pi SoC via USB, which is a bus that supports auto-discovery of attached devices. (Unlike, say, SPI and i2c, which require enumeration in the devicetree.) The drivers for the RS-485 and Ethernet ports are in the mainline kernel.

Thus, the ports should work out of the box with SLES/RHEL/CentOS on the RevPi Core/Connect.

You'll be missing access to the RTC, crypto chip, LEDs and the PiBridge/ConBridge. Support for these can be enabled by using the devicetree overlays included in our "raspberrypi-kernel" deb-package. To be able to use RevPi I/O modules and RevPi Gates, you'll have to compile our piControl kernel module against the kernel of your distribution.

There are a number of custom patches on our kernel branch which we normally upstream in a timely manner except if they're not suitable for upstream or need more work. For perfect support of our products, it may be necessary to roll your own kernel based on the distribution sources plus our custom patches.
froman

Post by froman »

that's wonderful news to me.

thank you very much.
StefanoBossi

Post by StefanoBossi »

Hi,

Just to know, does someone be successful in installing Centos OS? Could someone provide some instruction on ho to install the operating System?
I have tried to follow the instruction provided here: https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterest ... rch/armhfp
but the new installed software doesn't boot.

Regards,
S.