Gateways

Topics about the Hardware of Revolution Pi
Nick Renti
Answers: 0

Gateways

Post by Nick Renti »

Hello,
If in an automation plant, I have devices with 3 different protocols (Modbus RTU for drives, Profibus for drives too & Ethernet/IP for the PLC), can I mount 2 gateways on each side of the RevPi core and then use the Ethernet port of the RevPi core for the PLC?
dirk
KUNBUS
Answers: 4

Re: Gateways

Post by dirk »

Hi Nick Renti, short answer - no, you may not connect more than one Modular Gateway Module on each side.

The long answer is that the RevPi Core/3/+ Modules have two PiBridges, left and right. The Connect/+ Modules have just one PiBrige but also the ConBridge.
Each PiBridge supports the connection of up to five (5) I/O modules. One (1) module may exchanged to a Modular Gateway Module.

We currently don't recommend to use Codesys in motion applications as of the cycle time - but what about using Codesys and some USB extensions?
So my thoughts on your question:

Modbus RTU for drives, ...
USB 2.0 to 2 x serial RS-422/485 adapter and Video Tutorial 21 – Modbus RTU Master or Tutorial 23 – Modbus RTU Slave

.. Profibus for drives too ...
2x GATEWAY Module for PROFIBUS^
Or alternatively with CODESYS PROFIBUS

... & Ethernet/IP for the PLC
Codesys with the RevPiLib

the RevPi Core/3/+ Module has just one RJ45 Ethernet interface so you have to use a separate USB-Ethernet connection for commissionning as which you would use for the Ethernet/IP fieldbus.

The RevPi Connect/+ has two RJ45 interfaces but then you may not use two Profibus Modular Gateway Modules.
Nick Renti

Post by Nick Renti »

Hello Dirk,
Thanks for the reply. I did not make myself clear. What I meant is that to connect a Modbus RTU gateway on the right side of the RevPi core, and the Profibus gateway on the left side of RevPi core, and use the Ethernet port of the RevPi core to connect to the PLC and transfer the data. Is it possible?
Regards,
Nick
dirk
KUNBUS

Post by dirk »

Hi Nick, ok one Gateway Module on each side of a RevPi Core 1/3/+ works.
The Ethernet/IP PLC on the Ethetnet port needs clarification. You can use a Soft PLC like Codesys, this works.
But you also need some logic to handle the data in between. See my last post with the RevPiLib.
You could also use the RevPi Connect with included RS485 and virtual Modbus-RTU devices + a Profibus Module + a Soft PLC like Codesys for the Ethernet/IP. So you have an additional Ethernet Port available.
Nick Renti

Post by Nick Renti »

Thanks. It is clear now
dirk
KUNBUS

Post by dirk »

Hi Nick, thank you for your positive replay.
Nick Renti

Post by Nick Renti »

Hi Dirk,
Please check also another topic that I posted about Windows on RevPi Core. I posted it 10-12 days ago bau still noone has posted a reply.
Regards,
Nick